Saturday, February 23, 2008

Woo's Vermicomposting Project

Ever since I was a little brat I liked worms. At 5 I had a pet imaginary worm named "Wormy". Now that I am in my 70's I am back at it. Last year I started vermicomposting with a pound of red wiggler worms which I purchased. This bunch of worms has eaten lots of garbage over the year and produced about 15 pounds of vermicompost or worm castings which is an excellent source of nutrients for plants. It will not burn like chemical fertilizer and can be used as is mixed into the soil or used as a liquid by adding 2 table spoons of compost to 1 quart of water. Since I use worms on occasion when fishing the local ponds, I decided to try growing some European Nightcrawlers which are larger than the red wigglers and better for fishing. They can be grown in boxes just like the red wigglers and they also eat garbage and product vermicompost. The two videos show the Europeon Nightcrawler worms when I first introduced them to the box and then about 10 minutes later after they were mostly buried into the bedding. The videos are about as exciting as watching grass grow. Stay tuned to see how the worms survive.

1 comment:

Jagadeesh said...

Nice information, adding worms to gardens will increase the soil fertility and increases the plant growth rate. I am also searching for best methods like vermicomposting to increase my plants growth.